Bob Haircut

In this article, I am going to teach you the difference between an A-line, graduated bob, inverted bob and asymmetrical bob, along with a typical bob and a layered bob!

A-Line

Jennifer Aniston with an Aline HAIRcut

The term “A-line” generally refers to the perimeter of the haircut. It means that the hair is shorter in the back, and angles to a longer front. A true A-line haircut will not have layers or “stacking” in the back. It will also frame the face in the front and curl under the chin.

28 Comments on The Difference Between an A-Line, Graduated Bob, Inverted Bob, and Asymmetrical Bob

1. Anonymous
    May 3, 2014 at 1:18 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you! On my way to the salon. It helps to know the exact names of the style you want. Thanks again :)

2. Lin
    June 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you SO Much!!! for explaining this so clearly … my hair stylists were running circles around me and now (with your clear explanation), I know what to tell them to do/and what not to do! Thank you!!!

3. Vicki
    August 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM (1 year ago)

What’s difference between layered and stacked?

• Hollee Wood
      August 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM (1 year ago)

That is a really good question! Stacked basically means layered but they are really short layers that are shaped with the haircut so they “stack up” higher. The more stacked the layers are, the higher up they will go.

4. Angie Wallace
    November 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM (1 year ago)

what is the name of the shorter haircut where it is shaped into a “V” at back and goes into a point at sides?

5. Tabatha
    January 30, 2015 at 8:11 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you so much, i love this hair style and I’ve had it before but last time this chick had no idea what i wanted. I explained long in front, stacked in the back. I ended up with the stack in the back and butched in the front, shorter than chin length, so i have not had my hair cut since but now that I have this info I am going for it again! Thanks again.

• Hollee Wood
      February 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM (12 months ago)

I have never heard that term! I would imagine “filled” means the same thing as stacked… Maybe?

• Marilyn
        April 30, 2015 at 6:01 AM (9 months ago)

Filled would mean a bob that is non-layered or solid.

6. aparna
    March 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM (11 months ago)

what is the name of the haircut with with short hair on one side and long hair on the other side?

7. Marilyn
    April 30, 2015 at 5:57 AM (9 months ago)

Sorry to say there are hairdressers out there that do not know the difference between a stack, graduation and the original A line. You did a great job of describing the difference.

8. Ruth gibson
    July 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM (7 months ago)

Why is the inverted bob referred to as inverted? It doesn’t all go forward, so why called Inverted?

9. piyu28
    July 26, 2015 at 11:14 AM (6 months ago)

Thankyou so much for the information. Last time I told my hairdresser for A-bob(angled bob) .he just messed up and ended up giving me assymetrical one.you are right, it does looks ugly.this time I am going to make him read this article 👏

10. Charly
    July 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM (6 months ago)

Thank you for explaining this so well. I have always known what I wanted and have tried to explain it to the gal who cuts my hair and it comes out wrong. So now I am trying to grow my hair out again and know exactly what to ask for next time!

11. janis
    August 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM (6 months ago)

Nobody knows what i mean either! They all waot to cut it too short on top and bangs too short, and endr up like an old women’s cut.

• Vic
      September 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM (5 months ago)

I have the same problem! I recently moved and have had three awful hair cuts in a row. None of them know how to do any type of bob cut, apparently. But they SAY they do. Don’t they teach that in beauty school???

12. Barbarina
    August 20, 2015 at 7:49 PM (6 months ago)

Would a layered Bob look right on someone with slightly curly/wavy hair? My hair is dry and so I put oil in it to help with the frizz. But soon I’ll be having surgery and will be layed up for two months and would like something that won’t be too difficult to handle.

• Hollee Wood
      August 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM (6 months ago)

I think that would looks really cute! It depends on what kind of look you are going for but I would recommend keeping the layers on the longer side. Hope it helps

13. Damion
    September 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM (5 months ago)

However, for those that can, short hair is stunning.
    A large decorative clip, a flower, or other hair accessory can then be
    added. Its all natural, we ccan use makeup like eyeliner and mascara only tto enhance our
    natural beauty but for the most part nafural beautty
    is all about using what God gave us.

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Difference Between an A-Line, Graduated Bob, Inverted Bob, and Asymmetrical Bob

Comments: